Hump Day: How I stay happy


So I thought Id share my little "survival guide" to my life. 

Just things I remind myself of daily to stay in the present moment and remain in a joyous state. 



Self-Criticism 

is not allowed in my space

I like to replace self criticism with kind compassionate words. Ill be honest I have days where I feel like I could be achieving or doing more. I try to avoid putting high expectations on myself or pushing myself to far, when we do this we affect our state of mind and rips away our joy. Instead I remind myself daily. I am enough. 
“Maybe the most important teaching is to lighten up and relax. It’s such a huge help in working with our crazy mixed-up minds to remember that what we’re doing is unlocking a softness that is in us and letting it spread. We’re letting it blur the sharp corners of self-criticism and complaint.” 
― Pema ChödrönWhen Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice For Difficult Times

Over thinking

let it go

Don't think about it too much too much too much. We all find ourselves over thinking, ALL OF THE TIME. This form of thinking will bring you down, every time! For example, you accidentally said something you didn't really mean, so you will play that over and over in your head affecting your mood. It takes awareness. We must be aware of the thoughts we allow into our minds and when they serve no real purpose and only drive us nuts, you must let them go. 
“The most difficult times for many of us are the ones we give ourselves.” 
― Pema ChödrönWhen Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice For Difficult Times

Concerned With Time

tick tock

For me personally, when I think about the future too much or about the past I can get anxious if I start to believe the story I am creating, all the future is, is a form of thoughts and the past is ... well the past. Its not here anymore, its gone. I have to remind myself of this often. Or sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time, which if you've ever felt that, you know the uneasiness that comes along with it and well my goal for the day is to be joyous. So I try not to dwell on time. I'm where I am supposed to be, I am okay. No matter what I'm doing.

Ask yourself

how do I want to feel


I get it, we are human and we have emotions and can feel sad from time to time. I used to be sad most of the time, it was sad. Then I realized that that isn't how I wanted to feel. I realized I had a choice. Anytime I feel sad about anything, I recognize it, sit with it, allow myself to feel it and then I ask myself, is this how you want to feel, and I will say no, Id like to be in a happier state, Id like to smile, and so I do. Just like that smile, in the middle of crying or in the middle of anger, in the middle of any feeling that isn't so neat. Try it, it does something to the spirit. Some days its harder to smile than others but none the less, I do it and I make it a habit. You have to know what makes you happy and keep that close. For me its watching comedy stand ups on YouTube or a funny sitcom on TV, laughter is important to me. I keep humor close by. Singing, writing, music, painting, coloring with my kids or going for a walk and watching the sunset. Us humans NEED to be creative and expressive so finding healthy outlets is important. Keep things that make you smile and feel good very close.

And anther thing, expect to fail and do the practices all over again, day after day. 

Comments

  1. Thank you Kasey, I truely needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and very much needed! Thank you for encouraging me to smile when that was the last thing I felt like doing today. Much love x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts